Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Latest Book

OK...so spring break starts tonight for me and I want to get some good reading in. I don't need to go anywhere to go somewhere! This book looked really good, so let's see if it is. I'm going to start reading tonight.

I HAVE FINISHED THE BOOK : ) I must admit when I first started reading this book I didn't really get "into" it. Then, before I knew it, this book pulled me in. Patricia McCormick should win many awards for this sad story. It is a well researched story of the unfortunate sale of nearly 12,000 Nepali girls (each year) by their families into sexual slavery in India. Parts of this story made my heart hurt. As I was reading I could not believe the crimes committed against such small girls. What made me even more sick was the thought that this is not a story of years gone by...this is a story of crimes being committed today. This is a very quick read and a must read.

2 comments:

Jen Vincent said...

This book is definitely on my list of books to read! I'm glad to know it comes reccommended and I will try and pick up at my next visit to the library. It sounds like it could kind of relate to Ten Thousand Splendid Suns that you were talking about.

I know what you mean about books taking you places. I was thinking about starting a map or something where I can keep track of all the settings of the books I read. I think it would be neat to really see "where" you have read. :)

Unknown said...

I loved this book, also. There are a couple of other books that you might like reading, let me know if you are interested. I thought Blood of Flowers was similar in theme and worth reading.

Juanes

Juanes